As the majority of the group were absent today due to auditions and illness I spent the day working on production elements from home such as making the radio, the dog biscuit box and 3D shapes. Although this may sound like a fairly simple task, it actually was quite challenging as I had to make sure everything was completely accurate and perfectly measured as we would be using the props to demonstrate the properties of the shapes to the children during the show.
Making the radio was considerably easier than making the cube as I had more leeway as to what kind of design would be suitable and didn’t have to worry about measurement – as long as it was big enough to see from the audience and vaguely resembled a radio! We wanted everything in shapetown to appear flat and so we decided it would be more suitable to make our own (which fitted the cartoon like feel of the set). We decided that we wanted to be able to hide our portable Bluetooth speaker inside or behind the handmade radio in some way, so it would give the illusion that the music and radio broadcast was being played from it. Therefore when making the radio I made sure there was a hollow section with space for the speakers to fit in. The most difficult part of creating the radio was covering it in paper in a way that it still looked neat and relatively flat (which providing the unusual shape was more difficult than one would expect!) When designing the actual radio I had several ideas, however I decided on a very simple approach which used 2D shapes making the main components, such as the speakers (which was 2 large circles positioned one on each side) and the controls (made from a line of small squares drawn on a curved edged rectangle).
I took inspiration from the following images when choosing a design:
I originally thought it would easy making the cube, as I figured I could just use cereal packets, however these are mainly cuboids and even once they were undone and opened into their net format cutting out a new square net was not simple as there was not enough card to do so as two of the faces of the packet had extremely narrow sides. Therefore, I could’t just adjust the original packets and instead I had to open up several different packets and cut out 6 individual squares (all of equal size) and then piece these together one by one. I made sure I used a ruler to measure the length of each side and drew an outline of the shape as guidelines to cut round, so I knew it would be accurate. I also had to draw a rough out line of tabs that would help me join each of the squares together when forming the cube; but because of the limited cardboard available there was not always space to do this, which complicated the process even more. Somehow I realised that the squares were not completely the same length on one of the sides (probably due to confusion over what were tabs and what were the shape outline as well as the possibility I didn’t use the same side of the ruler for each) and therefore I had to work around this by trimming them to the same size. I managed to piece each of the 6 squares together (using the tabs to secure them to each other on the inside where possible), but because one of the squares was slightly smaller by a fraction I had to use left over card to get the face to the right height to join with the others and form a perfect square with the correct measurements. Once this was done I made sure to secure the whole cube together with sellotape to protect it and ensure it wouldn’t fall apart during rehearsal or performances, as well as coating it in newspaper so I could easily paint and decorate it later on.
Here are the photos of the process: